Welcome

Hi!

Well, if you're here you are probably frantically looking for answers, I knew I was when I first found I had MC. It isn't a fun thing to have, so I understand what you might be feeling, but rest assured it can be managed. Keep your spirits up, be optimistic about a good outcome, and concentrate on getting rid of it!


I hope these few ideas help. I recommend you read the whole thing (start at the bottom of the page and work up)- a holistic approach will be far more successful.

Control methods (this is what you came here for, right?)

This is what I've learned so far:

It is highly contagious and will auto-inoculate. So one bump will soon become 2 or 4 or 10. Prevention of auto-inoculation will greatly reduce the duration of the disease.

Your immune system is the only thing that will really cure it. Everything else just helps.

  1. Go to a doctor as soon as you see a lump and have it removed. Liquid nitrogen (cryotherapy) is quick and easy, stings a bit but not really too bad. If you get it early enough you might be lucky and avoid lots more lumps.
  2. Don't do anything to spread it around! Shaving is especially bad - it might cut the lumps and allow the contents of the lump (which contains the virus) to spread. Any damage to the skin provides a site of easy infection, so shaving nicks are bad news.
  3. It will spread on towels etc. I use a clean towel every day, and a separate hand towel to pat dry the infected area.
  4. I use body soap to prevent the virus contaminating a bar of soap. Not sure it would survive on a bar of soap, but no point taking any risks.
  5. Since it is a virus, no amount of antibacterial, anti-fungal or anti-whatever cream is going to help, unless you can get hold of an anti-viral specific for MC (I wish).
  6. Having said that, be pedantic with hygiene - wash you hands immediately after touching the infected area.
  7. I used to wear briefs. They didn't cover the area on my thigh that was infected, and they don't breath very well. I bought all new underwear, the short legged kind that covers the upper thigh and has more room for... movement. Change twice daily.
  8. Eat really well. I'm taking a Berocca every morning plus a multivitamin morning and night. As well as eating heaps of fruit and vegetables, a tall glass of fresh squeezed orange juice every morning, drinking green and black tea instead of coffee, and 3 litres of water a day.
  9. Rest as much as you can. Go to bed early. De-stress however works for you. Deep breathing exercises are good...
  10. Avoid alcohol, smoking and other non-prescription drugs. You know you should anyway...
  11. Exercise is good, but heavy exercise might be bad temporarily. It increases cortisol levels in the blood, which is bad for your immune system. Take it easy on the massive bench presses until the disease has cleared up.
  12. This is preventative - don't wear short running shorts at the gym - you need to eliminate skin contact with any gym objects such as bike seats or benches. Long shorts or track pants are the go for me from now on.
  13. Duct Tape Exclusion therapy. So far this seems to be working - I haven't seen any new lumps since I started this. In fact I'll create a new post just on it, I think it is that important....

No comments: